Library Assistant - Part Time
STATUS: Position is temporary, part-time with a possibility of becoming permanent per NJ Civil Service Guidelines.
Position requires 18-25 hours per week including days, nights, and weekends with starting pay of $13.00/hr.
Specific shifts: Sunday (11-5), Tuesday (5-9) and Thursday (1-9) or Sunday dayshift (11-5), Wednesday (9-2), and Thursday (9-4).
Performs responsible circulation or other support duties at the Main Circulation Desk of a busy public library under the guidance of a team leader or supervision of the Department Head. Candidate must be reliable and work well with people.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Charges and discharges library materials, collects fines, registers new patrons and issues library cards. Assists public in the use of some library resources and equipment.
- Answers questions and disseminates information on the library, its services, and its policies and procedures when necessary.
- Checks and maintains shelves to ensure correct order.
- Prepares books and other library materials for the collection including labeling, marking, pocketing, mending, and reinforcing.
- Performs other duties as assigned by management.
- Ability to perform essential job duties sometimes under duress
- Follow oral and written directions
- Have the ability to learn and understand library terminology and procedures
- Utilize various types of equipment utilized by the agency including computers and other equipment as needed/instructed
- Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with the general public and to maintain effective working relationships with coworkers
- Ability to read, write, speak, understand, and communicate in English sufficiently to perform the duties of this position
- Ability to maintain established library records and files
- Knowledge of books and organizational ability helpful
- Ability to comprehend, and interpret regulations, policies and procedures of the library.
Position requires applicants to stand for prolonged periods of time; talk and hear; lift, push, and/or pull up to 10lbs.; ability to reach, stretch, bend at waist and knees, twist, push, pull, and squat, and kneel.
The physical demands described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made with proper documentation.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE BY SEPTEMBER 30 at www.oceancitylibrary.org
To Apply: Submit a resume and application to Kathryn@oceancitylibrary.org
Questions about the position should be addressed to Kathryn Brown at 609-399-2434 ext. 5223 or Kathryn@oceancitylibrary.org.